We offer three types of training schedules:
- A block of consecutive days
- A one-day-per-week schedule
- A bespoke schedule, based around your needs (for groups of 8 or more)
Upcoming Training Dates
Click image to download overview
Our OCNWM accredited Forest School Assistant course consists of 2 units:
- Supporting a Forest School programme: learning and development
- Supporting a Forest School programme: practical skills
Course content for each unit is listed below.
1. SUPPORTING A FOREST SCHOOL PROGRAMME: LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT
This unit focuses on the knowledge and understanding of facts, procedures and ideas unique to Forest School. It also covers some of the theoretical components that underpin the Forest School ethos.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding the Forest School approach to learning: considering its benefits to participants and the role of the assistant in facilitating the ethos
- The importance of holistic development and how it can be promoted at Forest School
- The role and benefits of play at Forest School
- How self esteem can be developed at Forest School and its impact on learning & behaviour
- Assisting with the planning and delivery of Forest School sessions
- Observing individual learners over time and evaluating impact
2. SUPPORTING A FOREST SCHOOL PROGRAMME: PRACTICAL SKILLS
Working safely and practically within a natural environment is key to the effectiveness of Forest School. This unit focuses on the skills needed for the safe and sustainable use of woodlands and natural materials for learning.
Topics covered include:
- Tool use at Forest School: personal skills & safe practice, protective equipment, storage and maintenance
- Useful knots and lashings for Forest School
- Shelter building: applying skills to construct temporary shelters.
- Fire lighting, safety and management: understanding fire preparation, lighting techniques and extinguishing
- Using natural resources: applying practical skills to make craft items from natural materials
- Woodland ecology: understanding the history of woodlands and woodland ecosystems
- Woodland species identification and observation
- Sustainable management of woodland – considering how Forest School can affect the woodland and how this can be managed
- The role of risk at Forest School – considering the benefits of appropriate risk for and how this can be managed
Please be aware that there are a few entry requirements for this course. These are listed below:
- You have to be at least 18 years old
- You need a little experience of working with/supporting groups (children, young people, adults)
Before you run your own programme you will also need:
- Access to a group of children/young people/adults to run your 3 FS sessions with
- Valid DBS Certificate
The Training Journey
Resources & Course Materials
As part of the training programme, you will receive course materials, ongoing tutor support and online best practice examples and inspiration. The resources will be accessible through the Student Hub on The Hive website and will include:
- A reading list and electronic copies of all resources used during the training course
- ‘Tutor on call’ days where our team will be available for catch-ups and to answer any question
- Tips and advice drawn from our own practice
How To Prepare For The Training
We recommend that before you commit to the level 2 training you make sure you understand the Forest School ethos to ensure it is the right approach for you. It may also be worthwhile to arrange
to talk to or visit an existing Level 2 Forest School Practitioner to find out more about how Forest School can work in practice.
Once you've booked your course with us, The Hive will provide you with a short list of suggested reads and activities to get you started!
Cost & Payment Options
The cost of the Forest School Assistant training course is £520.
Our Taster Sessions cost £35.
We offer 3 payment options:
- You can pay the full amount for the course by booking online below, or over the phone by calling 020 3435 6848.
- You can pay in 2 instalments: the first instalment is due at the time of booking, the second is due 4 weeks before the start of the course. Just call us to pay this way.
- If you receive childcare vouchers, you are able to use them to pay for your course. Just call us to pay this way.
You can also save 5% on the cost of your course by signing up to our newsletter.
To register your interest for one of our courses, request more information or ask a question, you can call 020 3435 6848 or email email@example.com. You can also save 5% on the cost of the course by signing up to receive our newsletter.